Thursday, April 2, 2015

Super Easy Salsa and White Chicken Chili

I love salsa! I put it on everything-rice, beans, tacos, eggs, you get the picture. BUT I hate store bought salsa. Am I salsa snob? Perhaps, but I have not found a store bought one that I like. So you can see my dilemma-buy salsa from a restaurant every time I want a breakfast burrito or make my own. Neither are especially convenient. Until I received this recipe! Its good, easy, cheap and quick-all the necessaries for a favorite recipe. (This recipe was given to me by Lois Ramey, Knoxville, TN)

Super Easy Salsa
1 can diced tomatoes
1/4 large yellow onion
1 jalepeno
2 cloves garlic (I used 1 large and 1 small)
cilantro (I used a chunk about the size of my palm)
1 Tbs lime juice
1 tsp Morton's Nature Seasoning.



Dump the tomatoes into the blender (or food processor, if you are fancy). Chop the onion, Cut the jalepeno (put in as few or as many seeds as you/your family can handle). Mince the garlic. Rough chop the cilantro and throw all that stuff  into the blender. Add some lime juice and Morton's Nature Seasoning (to taste). Pulse to the texture that you like.

(Small female child using kitchen appliances. Relax DCS, she had adult supervision. And it wasn't plugged in.)


Eat! This made about 2 cups of salsa and everyone in our family enjoyed its fresh taste. This is one of those recipes that you can not mess up-just tailor it to your taste! And because it seems uncivilized to just eat chips and salsa for supper, here's a recipe for super easy white chicken chili.

White Chicken Chili
4 cans chicken broth
4 15 oz cans of Great Northern beans (drained & rinsed)
2 cups cooked & shredded chicken
2 small cans diced green chiles (or to taste)
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp pepper
1 C sour cream
2 C shredded cheese (I used hot pepper jack)



In a large pot, add the first 7 ingredients. Simmer on low/medium heat for 20-30 minutes (until it is heated through).

 Right before serving, stir in sour cream and cheese until it is all blended and melty and yum. I added a dollop of sour cream and some colby jack on top (I was feeling chefy that day).




I halved this recipe (I only had one chicken breast) and it made four nice size servings. The husband took some to work and it reheated well. Here's the link to the original recipe:
white-chicken-chili-soup-recipe

Don't forget the Easter egg hunt is TOMORROW (Friday, April 3) at 10:30 am at Erin Presbyterian Church). Our next MOPS meeting is Thursday, April 9 and we start at 9:30 am. We also meet at Erin Presb. Bring some food to share or just bring yourself. (I suppose you can bring food just for yourself, but there is no promise that it won't get nibbled on-we have pregnant mamas in our midst!).

Enjoy this Holy Week and may the peace of the Lord be with you.

2 comments:

  1. 2 comments are necessary here:
    1. I'd gladly call myself uncivilized and just eat chips + salsa for dinner if my fam would be ok it.
    2. This needs to be taste tested. If you bring the salsa or chili to MOPS, I'll gladly supply the chips and other essentials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I had kids, I would eat just popcorn for supper. With chocolate milk for protein. #notashamed

    ReplyDelete